Swallowtail identification

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Mon Nov 1 21:25:56 EST 1999

In trying to identify a series of photographs of some Swallowtail
puddling along a river bank in northern  Mato Grosso, Brazil, using
Dabrera and also Tyler et al volumes, I realized that virtually all
swallowtail specimens are shown with dorsal surface only, while all
photographs were of ventral views.  Moreover, some of the most striking
marks seem to be the patterns of colorful spots on the sides of the
thorax and abdomen.

I would appreciate learning about other sources of swallowtail
photographs that might facilitate identification.

M. Gochfeld