chemical safety during preparation

James J. Kruse kruse at nature.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Nov 12 18:24:32 EST 1999

Thank you Dr. Gochfeld for the report on xylene. I was misinformed
about xylene.

Clarification: Xylene can be used as a thinning agent for Canada
balsam, and isopropyl alcohol can be used as a thinning agent for
Euparal (considered by me to be better than 'Essence of Euparal'). The
trade off I attempted to describe is between Euparal/isopropyl alcohol
(takes a long time to cure) and Canada balsam/xylene (cures quickly but
gives Jim a splitting headache even in well ventilated areas).

Regards,
Jim Kruse
University of California at Berkeley
Dept. of Environ Sci, Policy and Mgmt.
Div. of Insect Biology
201 Wellman Hall
Berkeley, California, 94720-3112
Voice: (510) 642-7410    Fax: (510) 642-7428
http://www.cnr.berkeley.edu/sperlinglab/kruse.html