Genitalia observation technics

Chris Raper triocomp at dial.pipex.com
Mon Nov 15 06:28:45 EST 1999

On 11 Nov 1999 20:35:55 -0800, drdn at mail.utexas.edu (Chris J. Durden)
wrote:

Hi Chris

>  In cases where hundreds of specimens must be examined genitalically it is
>not necessary to make glass slides.

[Interesting technique snipped]

Have you tried using DMHF as a mountant? I have seen it used to
preserve genitalia on card - forming a clear blob over the genitalia.
It is alcohol-based so can be disolved away quite easily.

>  Too many times I have seen wonderful but abdomen-free specimens, and
>no-one could  find the slides that went with them.

Very good point. Though I have seen an interesting variation on the
slide theme where two coverslips are used. The coverslips are then
sandwiched and gummed between a strip of thick paper/card, which has
had a neat hole (5-10mm diameter) punched through it. The card allows
the preparation to be pinned with the specimen.

Best wishes,
Chris R.