Monarch Butterflies in East Bay (CA)

John Lane johnlane at nccn.net
Sat Nov 20 16:22:06 EST 1999

With regard to "Sunsol's" inquiry about monarch butterfly overwintering
colony sites on the east bay
shoreline of the San Francisco Bay: as these sites are on public lands,
I abstracted the following from the
California Natural Diversity Data Base, wherein the California
Department of
Fish and Game tracks these sites as a a consequence of the monarch butterfly
being deemed a "sensitive species" by the California Legislature.

Albany Hill:  Go to the park at the top of the hill and walk down the
ridge-trail to the south (this will be obvious when you are there).  Clusters
form on the west side not far below the ridge.  Numbers documented: 400 -
3000.  Definitely does not persist throughout the winter every year.

Jack Clark Golf Course, Chuck Corica Golf Complex, N end Oakland Intl.
Airport.  Between 12th and 13th fairways.  Numbers documented: 1200-2000.

San Leandro Golf Course, Marina Golf Course portion, NE side "pro area."
 N of
8th fairway.  "Possibly this is the San Leandro site of Cherubini (1983)."
Numbers documented: 850-31,000.

These may be the sites you refer to.  There are a number of other minor sites
on the "east bay."  But one good site you didn't mention can be
recommended as
it is on public property, avoids dodging golfers and flying golf balls,
and is
(sometimes) interpreted:  Ardenwood Historic Farm, in Fremont (one of
the East
Bay Regional Parks).  The cluster site is by the (toy) railroad tracks; park
personel can direct you.  However, be advised this particular winter season
monarch numbers are VERY low.  (In a few years they will rise again.)

Paul Cherubini probably knows alot more about these and other sites, but,
unfortunately, he appears to be unwilling to share his data with the
state data
base.

John Lane