Mutated Monarch Part 2

alarick at my-deja.com alarick at my-deja.com
Mon Oct 4 22:30:16 EDT 1999

Good Evening,
               Thought you would like to know the symptoms associated
with imidacloprid. Please go to Bayer's web site " nobugs.com "
There you will select PCO and PREMISE .......Look for heading " how
premise works "....in a nutshell. .it causes alzheimers in all brains
having acetylcholne receptors...including humans....
Symptons include: disorientation,wandering,lack of feeding,and eventual
breakdown of central nervous system......Andif that's not bad enough,
The EPA has been issuing an Emergency exemption for all states to apply
this toxic poison on our food crops since 1995 without opportunity for
public response....check it out on this search engine by typing "
imidacloprid " PAST history.
It's amazing how we accept the latest poisons to be applied to our pets
and our food without questioning the results.
  EE <great at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Thanks to those of you who responded to my previous post about the
> deformed Monarch, or sport, in southern Ontario.
>
> I only raise eggs from the 'hood, and release all emergents. Just a
> nature nut!
>
> The Monarch eggs were collected around Aug. 8th from a vacant field
> across the train tracks from a golf course. They were kept in a newly
> built small outdoor enclosure that consisted of a frame made from
wooden
> 1x1's covered with screening material. They were fed on milkweed from
> the field. All of these caterpillars exhibited lolling behavior, some
of
> them seemed to have the hiccups, and most, in the later instars, were
> into head banging (no we weren't playing any heavy metal music!). They
> all pupated between Aug. 17-29.
>
> A 10th caterpillar  was from an egg that came in on some milkweed
around
> Aug. 25th and pupated last, around Sept. 4th or 5th on the can that
had
> held the milkweed (in floral foam to keep it fresh). It grew amazingly
> fast, ripping through the instars like nobody's business.
>
> The next of the original 9 tried to emerge on Sept. 15th. The lid of
the
> chrysalis popped open. The abdomen sticking out was green in colour.
> Instead of emerging, the butterfly wiggled a bit, but died within a
few
> hours. I was curious about it, so I removed it from the enclosure and
> cut the pupal case open. It looked more or less normal, except for the
> fact that it had extremely tiny wings (not much bigger than a
> housefly's). All the other chyrsalids hanging from the top of the
> enclosure had gone two tone green and green/black, and some of them
were
> dripping colourless fluid. I'm pretty sure they won't be emerging.
>
> On September 17th, the 10th caterpillar, the last to pupate, emerged.
It
> [...]
> Monarchs, so I don't know if the rest of the anatomy was completely
> normal or not. After 4 hours, he flapped off ... not incredibly
> vigorously ... but he did fly off.
>
> I've learned that most golf courses around here spray fungicides and
> imidacloprid (Merit). It's my understanding that the railway corridor
is
> not sprayed. I should also add that the first half of August was
> extremely windy here , with winds gusting from just about every
> direction ... so anything could have drifted into the yard (we're
> organic). Could the persistant pesticide or fungicide used to keep the
> greens mold free have caused the problem? Could it have been
pesticides
> from the lawn chem truck which was also around one afternoon spraying
> lawn a half a block away? It didn't smell like diazinon, but it did
> smell like pesticide.
>
> Any thoughts on what went wrong with the Monarchs?
>
> I was heartened to see the 6-12 Monarchs a day, all day, that came to
> nectar on wildflower slope in August. I haven't seen one for a few
days
> - I imagine they've all left by now.
>
> I also had Eastern Black Swallowtails on the go. The eggs were laid on
> fennel, dill and parsley in the herb bed. I transferred them to curly
> leaf parsley growing in pots and into an outdoor enclosure, this one
> made of a metal wire frame covered in cloth mesh. I've reused this
> enclosure for several years, and simply clean the metal and mesh with
> bleach solution after the spring emergents flutter away. When the
> pillars were ready to pupate I moved them to brand new individual
wooden
> meshed bug boxes (the kind they sell for kids to kill bugs in:-)). The
> first of the EBS to pupate emerged a perfectly beautiful female
specimen
> on Aug. 15th. The other 3 continued to pupate. It surprised me that
she
> emerged this seasons, because in my experience so far, any that pupate
> after the first of August diapause.
>
> I had a second batch of 5 eggs layed on the herbs really late in the
> season, on August 12th. One died in the first instar. Judging by the
> caterpillars' colouration and final size, they seemed to be from 3
> different females. One grew to be huge, but exhibited the head banging
> behavior, and died just as it should have been pupating. (I think this
> is the one that's sibling died in the first instar.) I found it
hanging
> upside down from a parsley stalk. The other 3 EBS caterpillars pupated
> successfully (I hope) within the first 10 days of September. I won't
> know what's up with the 7 EBS chrysalides till next May. The first
batch
> were pupating around the time that the Monarch eggs arrived, but the
> second batch were exposed to the same conditions as the Monarchs.
>
> Hope they're more successful than the Monarchs were.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.