Lep Publications - A Call for Information

Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca
Wed Oct 6 13:52:01 EDT 1999

Yes it would be great to have an updated checklist for butterflies,
preferably posted on a web site for ease of access and ease of updating.  A
list compiled by a group of people in consultation with knowledgable other
people will likely be more correct that any list compiled by one or two
people. However any such list will not be the final word on some issues of
debate and if a group of keen people do want to provide this service to the
butterfly community they should be honest and point out where there are
differing views on correct taxonomy rather than portraying their preference
as the only correct version. What would be even more useful for me is a web
site that posts citations for butterfly articles published in journals and
natural history publications as they come out or on some regular basis.  Not
all of us live close to university libraries and hence it is difficult to
stay current on the literature.  The WWW would be a wonderful way to let the
rest of the world know that something has been written on topic 'x'.  Is
there a keen person out there that is interested in accumulating and posting
lists of current citations ?? Or is somebody already doing such and this
country bumpkin has not yet found the right web site :)