killing vs photography

Bruce Walsh jbwalsh at u.arizona.edu
Sat Oct 9 14:42:00 EDT 1999

"I think this issue is a central core issue to any individual even
casually
interested in moths and butterflies.  Rather than suppress it, it should
be
discussed often.  I constantly see it surfacing on this server with good
reason.  "

Actually, I find these discussions divisive and counterproductive.  First
and foremost, individuals are on this list because they have a love and
passion for lepidoptera.  Some collect, some photograph, some simply
observe.  All members of this list wish to share their experiences with others,
increasing awareness of butterflies and moths and promoting the critical
need to safeguard habitat.  These are points upon which we can all agree.

Alas, when the collecting vs. photography debate pops up, it poloarizes
members of this list for the following reason:  In general, collectors
welcome all individuals with an interest in leps and   want to encourage any
level of interest and any approach (be it collecting, watching, and/or
photographing).  Conversely, individuals (very often from a birding
background) bring a very different, and welcome, viewpoint.   The friction arises
when certain members of this group try to enforce their individual way of
enjoying leps on collectors --- in particular, that they should not collect.
 Imagine how a photographer would feel if I tried to make them feel very
uncomfortable for taking pictures!  Both groups should be able to easily
co-exist by recognizing, and respecting, the viewpoint of the other.
It is the asymmetry of the discussions -- collectors having no problems
with "watchers", but the converse NOT being true that makes this an endless
debate that does not move any individuals from their initial position
despite the huge amount of bandwidth used.

Peace

Bruce

PS  Be careful, as I can hear those black helicopters full of
evolutionists wanting to spray NYC.  They may launch if this thread gets out of hand.
 Luckily, I'll be off the list for the next week or so, as I'm off the
look over the Smithsonian's collection of SE Arizona moths.