Blood, flesh and stuff!

Neil Jones Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 10 19:11:25 EDT 1999

In message <0.5cfc0dd1.25322445 at aol.com> Leptraps at aol.com writes:

> Many species of butterflies and even some moths will feed on the liquids,
> including blood from fresh road kills. My father-in-law was a farmer, when
> visiting him early in the fall some twenty years ago, he slaughtered a hog.
> The pigs blood was soaked the ground and Polygonia comma and Polygonia
> interogationis visited the blood, just like a mud puddle club.
>
> I know a little bit about bait and bait traps. If you want Nymphlids,
> especially Polygonia and Nymphalis, take a small snake and or toads/frogs,
> mince them in a blender (I suggest you use a blender other than your
> families), add a small amount of table salt or rock salt, place in contain
> and into trap. For best results, keep moist. As the bait ages like fine wine,
> it works even better. The smell may be unpleasant, but it will work. I used
> this bait numerous times when I lived in the mountains of western Virginia
> and trapped Polygonia progne, Polygonia faunus smythi, Polygonia comma, Polygo
> nia interogantionis, Nymphalis antiopa, Speryeria atlantis, and Feniseca
> tarquinius in great numbers.

UGH! sounds revolting. No doubt it works though. I have seen fish baits
used to great effect in the tropics. Personally I would feel a little
squeamish about putting frogs into blenders, but I am reminded of
something I saw once in the tropics. A frog squashed flat on a road
covered in dead squashed Acreas and live Acreas feeding on top.

--
Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.nwjones.demon.co.uk/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn Bog