Bait stories and B.S.

DR. JAMES ADAMS JADAMS at em.daltonstate.edu
Tue Oct 12 11:15:54 EDT 1999

Anthony C. wrote:

> By the way having
> been involved with lepidoptera for 45 years I have never observed butterflies on
> carrion or dung. I know it happens but seems more relate to the tropics?

Not at all.  I've seen numerous butterflies visiting both dung and
carrion in the U.S.  In KS, where I spent many a year, I recall
taking a couple of great pictures of a Painted Lady (Vanessa
cardui) on some dog dung, and the same day there was another
pile that was completely covered by Hackberry butterflies
(Asterocampa celtis).  Red-Spotted Purples (Limenitis arthemis
astyanax) seem particularly fond of both dung and carrion here in
Georgia.

	James

Dr. James K. Adams
Dept. of Natural Science and Math
Dalton State College
213 N. College Drive
Dalton, GA  30720
Phone: (706)272-4427; fax: (706)272-2533
U of Michigan's President James Angell's
  Secret of Success: "Grow antennae, not horns"