bflies &BS

Paul Cherubini paulcher at concentric.net
Tue Oct 12 14:07:04 EDT 1999

hugh wyatt wrote:

> Hate to disagree with Tony but I have seen P. turnus or glaucus or whatever
> you people call the tiger swallowtail this year, feasting on fresh, still
> smoking cow dung and have photos to prove it.  Have also seen many
> different brushy foots on horse urine on riding trails, so it do happen, my
> friend.  Peace.

Maybe now the discussion should turn to the question of what nutritional benefits do
butterflies obtain from animal excrement?  Have there been any studies about this? It seems
likely for optimum health, many butterflies need more than sugar water (i.e. flower nectar)
alone. Is there a practical way to incorporate some of these excrement nutrients in home
butterfly nectar mixes?

Paul Cheubini, Placerville, California