[SoWestLep] Desert Broom

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Tue Oct 19 20:24:42 EDT 1999

I spent 48 insane hours to and from SE Arizona this past weekend, trying to
make one last trip while juggling obligations at home.  It all started in
Mission Viejo, CA, where there have been plenty of Giant Swallowtail flying
in my yard the past few weeks.  The mountains of SE Arizona were calling,
and I only had a two day period to work with.  So I drove like a maniac from
SoCal on Friday, October 15.

I stopped for a brief visit to Whitewater canyon, just outside of Palm
Springs, CA., to see how the fall butterflying is progressing out there.  I
was pleased to find many butterflies on the wing, with flowering plants
abounding in spite of our lack of rainfall.  One surprise was a fresh male
Zerene eurydice (California Dogface), flying about the roadside flowers.  I
know they are still flying in the San Bernardino mountains, but I didn't
expect to find one in the desert.  Eurema nicippe (Sleepy Orange) was common
in the green areas between the road and the river/stream.  Marine, Reakirts,
Western Pygmy, Acmon, and even a dotted Blue were also seen.  Both Monarchs
and Queens were found nectaring in large numbers.  Common Checkered Skippers
were common, and a few Duskywings (badly worn) were still flying.  After
spending an hour or so, I continued on my drive towards the mighty Colorado
(river, that is).

With only a quick stop for a swim break at the Arizona state line, I finally
arrived at the Reef campground in the Huachuca mountains at 11:00 p.m.  It's
quite a drive up Carr Canyon in the middle of the night.  I have to give
credit to whomever maintains the roads in the mountains of Southeast AZ.
Although they provide for some rough driving, I can't imagine having to stay
on top of the erosion week after week.  One good rainstorm, and you've got
some serious ruts.  Good thing I had my 3-cylinder Geo Metro!  Now there's
some off-roading power!

I'm only sorry I couldn't have barged in on Hank and Priscilla, because I'm
sure I drove right past their home.  Nice place to live, that's for sure.

I spent Friday night under the stars, and a beautiful sky it was.  I didn't
even feel the earth shake during the 7.x earthquake that shook most of
Southern California and Arizona at 2:45 a.m.  Having spent the night on the
ground during a large earthquake 10 years ago, I've gotta say that there's
nothing quite like that experience.  On this occasion, however, the ground
must not have moved enough to rattle my butterfly dreams.

When I awoke at 6:30 a.m., I made me a quick breakfast on my Coleman stove
and walked over to enjoy the view of Ramsey Canyon.  The Aspen on Mt. Carr
were in full golden autumn glory.  I was in heaven (at least on earth).  The
air was crisp and I was in the mood for some mountaineering.

The rainclouds started forming out of thin air at around 7:30.  It's amazing
how fast these things can materialize (if a bunch of gas can be considered
to be material).  By 9:00 I was looking at several ominous thunderheads
crawling over the peak.  There were a few checkered skippers on the wing in
spite of the lack of sunshine, but up at that altitude most everything else
was content to remain in their overnight accommodations.  So I decided to
climb the mountain, anyway.  The summit is so close to the roads end (2.5
miles?).  Butterflies aren't the only reason to visit this location
(argggghhhh!).

By 11:00 I was driving back down the canyon, a little disappointed that I
couldn't stay for another couple of days.  Many people don't understand what
would motivate a person to drive 9 hours one way for a three hour hike.
Especially when there's no guarantee that you'll see any butterflies.  I
don't know, it's a bit hard to explain I guess.  All I know is that when I'm
free and roaming, driving hours are never a hindrance.

I did manage to stop once more in the mountains just east of Tucson and
north of Interstate 10, where the cloud cover was not strong enough to
completely blot out the sun.  Here, I was pleased to find butterflies all
over the place.  Here's just a partial list:

Battus philenor (Pipevine Swallowtail)
Pontia protodice (Checkered White)
Colias eurytheme (Orange Sulpher)
Zerene cesonia (Southern Dogface)
Eurema mexicana (Mexican Yellow)
Eurema nicippe (Sleepy Orange)
Nathalis iole (Dainty Sulpher)
Atlides halesus (Great Purple Hairstreak)
Strymon melinus (Gray Hairstreak)
Brephidium exile (Western Pygmy Blue)
Hemiargus isola (Reakirt's Blue)
Calephelis ? nemesis or arizonensis (Fatal Metalmark)
Libytheana carinenta (American Snout)
Euptoieta claudia (Variegated Fritillary)
Chlosyne lacinia (Bordered Patch)
Dymasia dymas (Tiny or Chara Checkerspot)
Phyciodes texana (Texas Crescentspot)
Vanessa virginiensis (American Painted Lady)
Asterocampa leilia (Empress Leilia)
Asterocampa clyton (Tawny Emporer)
Danaus gilippus (Queen)
Pyrgus communis albescens (Common Checkered Skipper)
Pyrgus philetas (Desert Checkered Skipper)
Erynnis ? funeralis (Duskywing)
Hesperia ? comma (Branded Skipper)
Agathymus ? (an orange giant Skipper)

As Hank has reported, some of the blossoming broom and other roadside plants
can be found to be literally covered with nectaring butterflies - even under
total cloud cover (at least down at low elevations).

I'm hoping to hear/see many other fall reports from SE AZ, although I will
unlikely be able to make any more trips there this season.  It is nice to
know, however, that while most of the rest of the northern hemisphere is
beginning the winter drought, there are places like Arizona where a burst of
activity can be enjoyed in mid-October.

Mark Walker
back in Mission Viejo, CA