Re-Migration of V. atalanta

Runar Krogen rkrogen at online.no
Fri Oct 22 15:04:16 EDT 1999

Dear lepidopterists

The first few migrants were seen here around Trondheim, Norway, from 10.
June to 13. July. It was not a large scale migration. But due to good
conditions, several offspring of these migrants have been seen from 26.
August with a peak between 11. and 26. September. September was the warmest
ever recorded with a new record of + 27,9 degrees on 3. Sept. in Trondheim.
The warm period ended during the first days of October.
Attracted to Buddleia and rotten fruit in my garden I watched specimens
comming in from north feeding for a time. Many days the warm weather was
accompanied by strong winds from south. During such days flight to the
south was probably impossible. During such a period I counted 9 individuals
in my garden on 21. September. When it became calm, all except 2 were gone.
Not all the individuals have a south migratory behaviour, since I also
watched a few drifting towards other directions, even towards the north as
late as early October. On the last "warm" day here so far, 19. October, I
watched 2 individuals in my garden, one basking in the low and pale sun on
the south wall of my house, the other feeding on rotten fruit. That day it
was sunny and calm, but only + 5 degrees and the ground still frozen in
afternoon in shaded areas. V. atalanta has been the only butterfly seen in
October, the other late season butterflies (Aglais and Polygonia) are
hibernating.

Best regards

Runar Krogen
Buvika, Norway