Do Females feed on carrion?

Sir Tempests Queen tmpstqueen at aol.com
Sun Oct 31 22:52:22 EST 1999

>I am conducting research in Costa Rica to determine if female butterflies
>ever feed on carrion? This September, I performed the first phase of the
>research on the Atlantic Slope of Costa Rica, and no females came to the
>rotten chicken livers which were placed in traps. I will be returning to
>Costa Rica in March to perform additional testing.
>
>Has anyone on this list ever captured a female butterfly on rotting meat of
>any type?
>
>Regards,
>
>Jim Hanlon
>jfhanlon at aol.com

I've been doing my own research, planning the species in my locale in order to
customize a butterfly garden at my new home.

According to my research to date, male butteflies feed at drying puddles of
water, and some species on feces (I'm not sure about carrion).  They derive
minerals and salts and other nutrients from these sources which are necessary
to enhance their ability to breed.  They spend most of their time either
lingering on a low hilltop or patrolling a territory, hunting for receptive
females.