Yale Sedman ys-sedman at
Mon Sep 6 11:51:05 EDT 1999

Lepidopterists, especially butterfly workers, often use the word
"nectaring" when butterflies appear to be feeding at a flower, and this
seems quite appropriate even if not always accurate.  Are other forms of
the verb used to describe butterfly activity?  Is it said that
butterflies have "nectared" in the past, etc.?

Finally, what words are used when butterflies are seen on feces,
puddles, rotten fruit, carrion, etc. (puddling, etc.) and seem to be
taking up fluids?  Yale


More information about the Leps-l mailing list