Damage due to UV

Mothman617 mothman617 at aol.com
Mon Sep 6 21:16:14 EDT 1999

I did hear once that it is primarily the UV rays in sunlight that can damage
specimens. Moths are most likely to be damaged. Butterflies can stand up fairly
well in my experience, but moths such as Saturnids especially, can be destroyed
within a few months as thier pigments fade rapidly. UV rays can damage many
things besides lepidoptera. Plastics, paper, rubber, textiles, fabrics and
other materials can easily fade from direct sunlight over time.Our own skin
when we get  a suntan can do serious damage over years of exposure. Try to keep
all specimens out of direct sunlight. Artificial light I doubt effects the
pigments