Whats wrong with this picture.

Paul Cherubini paulcher at concentric.net
Wed Sep 22 12:57:52 EDT 1999

Bob Kriegel
Dept of Entomology
Michigan State University wrote:

> As a member of Lep Soc I am very concerned if a university Entomology
> Dept.is involved in the large scale commercial sale of native butterflies.
> Particularly since this practice is in direct conflict with current efforts
> by the two largest Lep societies in the U.S.

Robert, you can go to www.monarchwatch.org (a web site run by the Dept.
of Entomology at the University of Kansas in Lawrence) and find that
monarch caterpillars are offer for sale for $2.00 each:

"Monarch Rearing Kits ($25)  Rearing Kit #2 contains 10-12 three-five
day old Monarch larvae (caterpillars) that were started on an artificial
diet. These larvae must be transferred to milkweed plants to feed and
will pupate in about 2 weeks. Adult Monarchs will emerge 10-14 days
after pupation."

Paul Cherubini, Placerville, California