Butterfly Breeders-another 2 cents

Mark Berman bugman at bugs.org
Thu Sep 23 00:59:43 EDT 1999

Hi

Okay, I want in on this, too.

I also make money teaching with bugs - a fair amount of money, too. I also
see the wonder in children's eyes and feel the reward of knowing I'm helping
make a very small part of the world a more respectful, responsible place.

I breed mantids and share them with people I like. I even give them as gifts
(to people who I know will take care of them). I breed Giant Millipedes and
even sometimes sell them. I think the fairly novel use of Arthropods in
education is a long overdue, extremely valuable practice (to me and the rest
of the world).

Here comes the "but"

The issue I have (and I'm still a little ambivalent about it, I'll admit) is
the release of non-native species into a new environment. It is very
difficult to predict the possible outcomes of such events. While I
appreciate the adherance to strict disease control mentioned in the previous
post (by Terry Fluke), it is impossible to know what might be the genetic
impact of multi-generation, captive bred individuals interbreeding with
native populations.

It very well might be a negligible point, but it is surely the primary issue
I have with this new phenomenon. I like the "spread the word" aspect of all
our efforts. But I wonder if "mass releases" are ecologically responsible. I
think preserved specimens - for art, research or education - are best raised
in captivity. But for living specimens that are going to be released, I
think we should be looking in our backyards! (Okay, down by the power
lines.)

I think we're the only discipline that faces this problem. Nobody wants to
throw fish or snakes at weddings. Most people realize you should not release
tropical fish into the wild Plecos are a hugh problem in Hawaii cause people
do it anyway. But they are not bred for that purpose. Same with cats which
are domesticated and so represent a slightly different problem.

I think perhaps the closest analogy is the gardening industry. Ever hear of
Purple Loosestrife (_Lythrum salicaria_)? This beautiful plant is
aggressively invading wetlands all over the eastern US (at the expense of
many native wildflowers) after being introduced by missionaries and garden
clubs as ornamentals. There are other dramatic examples of "accidental"
introductions causing big problems.

It's not nice to fool Mother Nature....

Not intending to ruffle any wing scales, just want to air out this issue!

Mark
BUGMAN Educational Entoprises
http://www.bugs.org

news:199909230135.VAA25640 at gr.its.yale.edu...