b-fly releases at events

Rob (Robert) Hilton robert at csa.com
Thu Sep 23 10:00:19 EDT 1999

At 12:08 AM 09/23/1999 -0400, Mark Berman wrote:

>There are plenty of examples of introductions of non-native species
>resulting in major ecological challenges. I'm sure many of you are quite
>familiar with most. The impact of these events extends far beyond the
>relative value of monitoring programs, sometimes resulting in public health
>hazards or serious challenges to populations of valuable native organisms.

I would like to point out that the Bobwhite Quail (Colinus virginianus)
population of New York has been irreparably altered by sportsmen
introducing birds from the southern USA.  These non-hardy birds interbred
with the cold-hardy native birds to the extent that the resulting Bobwhite
population can not survive New York winters any more.

Best,

Rob Hilton
robert at csa.com
Bethesda, MD, USA