Sense and sensibility (in science)

Bruce Walsh jbwalsh at u.arizona.edu
Wed Sep 29 13:10:51 EDT 1999

I'm concerned about the increasingly personal nature of some of the
discussions on this group.  Science, like any other human enterprise, has a
strong personal side, but we should take great pains to avoid personal
attacks.

The focus of debates on scientific issues should be on facts and theories
(and the facts that support, or detract from a particular theory).  When
personal attacks occur (i.e., you are obviously xxx or yyy), as a
scientist, you force me to almost completely discount your viewpoint.  This goes
for individuals on BOTH sides of the current release debate.

Science is not about liking people --- some of the scientists for whom I
have the highest respect are individuals that I personally dislike.
Likewise, there are scientists that I truly enjoy on a personal level but whose
quality of science is very poor.

Just some more random thoughts from an evil, greedy, self-centered,
dishonest,
morally irresponsible, and value-free scientist.

Peace

Bruce

Bruce Walsh
Associate Professor