Of names and committees and people and ?

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Mon Apr 10 21:32:53 EDT 2000

Several people have recently mentioned taxonomy in the same breath as
rocket science.  Holding out "Rocket Science" as some kind of peak to be
attained has always struck me as ludicrous.  Rocket scientists (really
engineers) may use complex mathematics to deal with something which is
basically deterministic and is "merely" an application of Newtonian
science. Rocket scientists are the kind of people who failed to
appreciate that cold temperature might jeopardize the performance of an
O-ring.  See Richard Feynman's account of the Challenger investigation.
Taxonomy has always seemed to me much more complex than Rocket Science,
although many have tried to apply linear mathematical models to sorting
out different taxa.

Training in a museum where taxonomic discussions were dominated by
cladists, I appreciated the value of posing hypotheses or questions
regarding relationships, although I didn't always appreciate the
assumptions that went into determining character states. So taxonomy can
be approached in a highly "scientific" way or can incorporate much more
of the art.

Mike Gochfeld