Butterfly odors...

Citheronia at aol.com Citheronia at aol.com
Wed Aug 2 00:07:20 EDT 2000

Hello all...

Once a few years back, I remember a good friend of mine in Louisiana told me
to smell a tiger swallowtail (Papilio glaucus). Of course I thought he was
kidding, but of course I went out there and tried it, and it smelled just
like the popular breakfast cereal "Fruit Loops!!" Another fellow told me to
smell an Aporia craetegi, and even having been caught 20+ years before, it
still had a scent like that of a common thing (I forget what it is though).
Of course it was still papered, I'm sure a spread specimen would lose it's
scent. I was just wondering what other butterflies are out there that bear
familiar scents? I would be very interested in knowing of any other
Lepidopterans to smell. And to the rest of you, take a whiff of the next
tiger swallowtail you encounter!

Thanks,
Randy

P.S. DON'T SNIFF CARRION BEETLES!