The other "other" side

John Shuey jshuey at tnc.org
Wed Aug 2 09:01:43 EDT 2000

One thing to note about Bt corn.  Many farmers in the Midwest are worried
that because corn apparently has a tendency to cross with Johnson grass
(strong evidence of genetic exchange has been established between these two
species), that Bt genes will become the norm in this major economically
negative weed.  Farmers aren't happy about the prospect of an insect
resistant ag weed developing in the Midwest.

Also note that I heard at a Monsanto sponsored meeting that they are
looking to insert the gene into trees, especially those hit by the moth
Choristoneura fumiferana.  Given the role that this moth plays in ecosystem
dynamics in the western US, its easy to imagine that within the next
century that many of our western parklands could be converted into dense
"natural" forests dominated by budworm resistant spruce, larch and pine.

John Shuey