Any Polyphemus moth experts?

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Aug 16 11:08:58 EDT 2000

Has anyone thought about climatic warming to explain the appearance of
double broods in formerly single brood species?
  Here in Texas we have tropical periodic colonists establishing breeding
populations farther and farther north every year. For instance *Heliopetes
macaira* was a rare stray in the lower Rio Grande Valley in the 1940's. By
the 1970's it was resident in LRGV. Now it is reproducing almost as far
North as Houston. *Chioides catilius* formerly a rarity in the LRGV, showed
up in Austin in the 1970's and has been swarming along the Texas coast
almost as far as Louisiana this year. *Astraptes fulgerator*, formerly a
rare resident in LRGV now has breeding populations as far north as Austin.
*Danaus eresimus* formerly occasional in the LRGV, reached Austin in the
1970's and showed up at Dallas this year. This all parallels the northward
spread of the whitewing dove, well documented by wildlife biologists.
..........Chris Durden