Study: Biotech Corn Kills Monarch

Chip Taylor chip at ukans.edu
Wed Aug 23 12:05:35 EDT 2000

>Yesturday, when a reporter asked Steve Johnson, a US Environmental
>Protection Agency deputy assistant administrator to comment on the Iowa
>State study he said:
>
>``Based on what we've seen so far, we're not seeing any impact on any
> non-target organism, particularly the Monarch butterfly''
>
>Paul Cherubini

A fair statement - as far as it goes, but the research to date has not
really addressed the impact issue and there has been very little money for
monarch/Bt corn work so far. (Strictly speaking there is no imapct data and
no comprehensive impact study has been funded). Let's let the scientists do
their jobs and complete their studies. It's inappropriate to dismiss the
possible impact of Bt corn pollen without a thorough study of the issues
I've discussed in the SS.

The SS refers to the Season Summary for Monarch Watch which contains a 3
page summary of Bt/monarch studies to date and an outline of work that
needs to be conducted.

Monarch Watch
Email:  monarch at ukans.edu
WWW:  http://www.MonarchWatch.org/
Dplex-L:  send message "info Dplex-L" to Listproc at ukans.edu
Phone:  1 (888) TAGGING (toll-free!) -or- 1 (785) 864 4441
Fax:  1 (785) 864 4441 -or- 1 (785) 864 5321
Snail:  c/o O.R. Taylor, Dept. of Entomology, Univ. of KS, Lawrence KS 66045