Factors affecting the colouration in certain Nymphalids & Pierids

Americo N. Bonkewitzz americo at webmail.co.za
Thu Feb 3 01:02:36 EST 2000

--------------F3FDBB376FD3E869C29996EE

Hi,

I started developing a small butterfly farm, breeding mainly  Precis
octavia (Gaudy Commodore)
for butterfly houses, private collectors, etc. Precis octavia exhibits
an amazing extreme seasonal
dimorphism. The summer form is a stunning red form, contrasting with the
winter form, which is
a gorgeous blue. My problem is that I want to control that appearance. I
do not want to wait till winter to get the blue forms :-). I have tried
low temperature to obtain blue forms but it doesn't work, I still get
red ones. I found this seasonal dimorphism also in many other species of
African Pierid and Nymphalids: Colotis danae, Colotis auxo, Precis
natalica, Precis archesia, etc.

I am about to run a series of expermients to determine the conditions
that regulate the different
forms. Maybe the fluctuation of day-night temperature could make it or
just only the level of
humidity or both. However, before doing something I would like to know
how much is kown
about this phenomena. Is there anyone who knows what are the right
conditions to determine the
different seasonal colouration in some species of butterflies?. Any
scientific reference ?. When
seasonal coloration is determined? during pupation or from caterpillar
stage ?. Is there any crtitical
period during methamorphosis that the larvae is sensitive to the
external conditons enough to
produce changes in colouration?

Thank you in advance for any help.
 Please reply to americo at webmail.co.za

Americo N. Bonkewitzz
The Gaudy Commodore Butterfly Farm,
P.O.Box 9
Mkondeni, 3212
South Africa
e-mail: americo at webmail.co.za

--------------F3FDBB376FD3E869C29996EE

Hi,
octavia</i> (Gaudy Commodore)
an amazing extreme seasonal
the winter form, which is
I do not want to wait till winter to get the blue forms :-). I have tried
low temperature to obtain blue forms but it doesn't work, I still get red
ones. I found this seasonal dimorphism also in many other species of African
Pierid and Nymphalids: Colotis danae, Colotis auxo, Precis natalica, Precis
archesia, etc.
that regulate the different
or just only the level of
how much is kown