Urticatious caterpillar found in the Everglades

O.G. Marti, Jr. omarti at tifton.cpes.peachnet.edu
Fri Feb 4 07:53:17 EST 2000

Try Hylesia.  I don't know whether this genus occurs in the US, but
I was in French Guiana in 1986 and it was studied at the lab in
Cayenne at that time because the ADULTS were a pest at the
rocket launch facility in Kourou.  Seems that they were getting
down the collars of the workers.  I recall that they were common in
mangrove swamps. Good luck.

O.G. Marti, Jr.

> Does anyone know a possible identity of a caterpillar with very urticant
> hairs found in Everglades National Park feeding on White Mangrove leaves
> (Laguncularia racemosa). Its coloration is dull black with a few white
> hairs. No  butterfly caterpillars among our 100 or so species are known to
> be urticatious. Any help or leads would be appreciated.

Orville G. Marti, Jr., Microbiologist
USDA, ARS, IBPMRL
PO Box 748
Tifton, GA.  31793