Genetic Engineering does indeed have problems

Anne Kilmer viceroy at gate.net
Thu Feb 17 15:25:00 EST 2000

Heck, we're just killing time until the next ice age, anyway.
When I realized that flu was the virus' way of making us more like our
companions, it gave me a whole new perspective on illness.
Why now, whenever I have a cough, I dash out to spread my precious DNA
everywhere. (Or perhaps not.)
It is my theory that we are basically a device created by yeasts and
molds to produce and disseminate bread, beer and cheese. Or, in the case
of the Catholics, bread and wine.
You'll notice that intelligence in the race of man develops
simultaneously with our starting to store grain (where the yeasts could
find them, of course).
Mark, you want to dig out that bit in the Bible that says we're yeast?
(After a week on Floxin, this is probably quite true about me.)
 Me, I find GM foods scary, and I steer clear of pseudo fats and pretend
sugar, but I am a lady of substance ... I bet the junk food is mostly
GM. But the soy beans went first. Laugh? Scared the cat.

As for the butterflies, I think that your studying them is far more
important than what you find out. If this means that everybody changes
names every 25 years (well, at an accelerated rate now, I guess) it may
keep us mentally limber.
Or, of course, we may go play something where we're not wrong quite so
often.
Me, I don't care what you call them as long as there are plenty of them
in my garden ... and a nice assortment, too.
I'm on a Terry Pratchett kick, and I hope most serious scientists cut
their teeth on Sturgeon, Clarke, Asimov, main-line science fiction, and
have considered what they're doing to society with their improvements. I
wish I thought the entrepreneurs who are  making the money (and spilling
cyanide here and there) had also done some reading, thinking and
imagining.
Cheers
Anne Kilmer
south Florida