Genetic Engineering may have Problems (not so long)

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Feb 19 12:12:32 EST 2000

You are quite correct Neil. This one really sorts out the applied
"scientists" (engineers) from the basic scientists (philosophers). Too much
of what goes under the name of science is today, the former rather than the
latter. It is an ethical problem that is philosophically very damaging.
........Chris
At 04:12  18/02/00 GMT, you wrote:

>> OK, This is a crock that needs answering!  Genetic engineering actally
began
>> about 14,000 years BP, Give or take a few thousand, when someone decided to
>> cross two white dogs, or to inbreed a wheat strain that had larger heads,
>> and it has always had problems.  Even if one grows only "heirloom"
>> varieties, they are probably 99% as engineered as today's.
>
>I have some problems with this. It deeply concerns me when I see
>the general public loosing faith in science. One of the reasons I see for
>this is that people see scientists making statements that they cannot
>believe to be truthful.
>
>Let us examine whether it is truthful to compare 'Artificial selection'
>with 'Genetic engineering' with the conclision that they are identical.
>- -
> >I do not believe that it is accurate or exact to directly equate
>artificial selection with Genetic engineering.
- - ->