Mosquitoes and flies...

Paul Cherubini cherubini at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 21 12:56:24 EST 2000

Peter H.M. Brooks wrote:

> I have seen quite a few suggestions about how to deal with Mosquitoes,
> and I would like a solution that also deals with flies.

> Garlic Oil mixed with water and sprayed about
> I eat a lot of garlic, and I still find that they seem to like my
> blood, so I am not sure about this one. Does it really work?

The huge garlic processing plants here in California find that the garlic powder
and other dried garlic products they have in storage are highly susceptible
to infestation by Indian Meal Moths and some dermestid beetles. Flies, ants
and other insects are a problem too desite the very strong odor of garlic that
permeates the plants and surroundings. To combat all these bugs the garlic
plants treat their buildings with a fog of pyrethrin or Vapona (DDVP) insecticide
every week or two during the summer months.

Paul Cherubini, Placerville, California