Elfins in Austin, TX

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Feb 23 13:17:09 EST 2000

At 05:49  22/02/00 EST, you wrote:
>Chris Durden kindly described that Incisalia henrici turneri and <Incisalia
>solatus solatus> both fly together in Austin TX and added they had different
>host plant preferences.
>
>The observations were made in Zilker park on February 19, 1999 below the
rose
>gardens by the stone gate, and the Elfin was perching in the tall grasses
>along the path in a semi-shaded area.  One was observed carefully by myself
>and Elizabeth Munger of Austin, while one other Elfin was seen nearby.
>
>The literature is confusing:  All references I have list solatus as a
>subspecies of henrici.  Does anyone have further information on their
>recently published taxonomic differences?  Howe (1975) lists a basal white
>line on the under HW, it wasn't there in the observed individual.
>
>Best wishes.  Doug Dawn.
>Woodland CA
>Monterrey, Mexico

Doug,
  I reported both in Lep. Soc. Seasons' Summaries for 1969 and a few years
following. I reported that both fly together in Austin and have different
foodplants in 1982, J. Lep. Soc. 36(1): 10 & note 14.

*Incisalia henrici turneri* Clench, 1943 is well illustrated in Howe, 1975.
Notice the two-tone shade of groundcolor of the VHW; the flecks of white in
the medial band VHW; the touch of dark-red-brown near the costal angle VHW;
and the extent of the red-brown patches dorsally in both sexes. Tails tend
to be a little longer. I have been calling this the REDBUD ELFIN but it
could be called TURNER'S HENRIC'S ELFIN
Range - Brewster (S80:20)
        Llano (JLS36:10, S69:11)
        Burnet (JLS36:13)
        Travis (JLS36:10, S71:6, T6:25)

*Incisalia henrici* subspecies, is not illustrated. Ground color VHW is
still darkly two-tone but it is a warm reddish-brown-black; flecks of white
in the medial band VHW are usually restricted to near the costa;
submarginal spotband is enhanced cf. *henrici* from Lakehurst, NJ but more
diffuse with faint ringing of spots in a reddish, not yellowed ground;
red-brown patches are extensive dorsally; tails are relatively long. I have
been calling this SOUTHERN HENRIC'S ELFIN.
Range - Dallas/Tarrant (S49)
        Dallas (S51, S52, JLS13:89, S59:7, S62:6, S75:8)
        Tarrant (S62:6, S63:9)
        Bosque (S60:7)
        Fayette (Unpub.)
        Sabine (S92:41)
        Smith (S51, JLS13:89, S62:6, S63:9)
        Montgomery (S67:12)
        Tyler (S91:18)
        Harris (S67:12)

*Incisalia solatus solatus* Cook & Watson, 1909 is not well illustrated.
There is very little contrast between basal and marginal ground color VHW
yet it is distinctly two-tone; flecks of white are usually absent in the
medial band VHW; submarginal spotband is suppressed or absent and there is
no red-brown associated with the ground; outer part of VHW is frosted with
a dirty soot, cold gray; there are no red-brown patches dorsally; tails are
shorter than in *henrici*. I have been calling this SOOTY ELFIN.
Range - RGV (S48)
        Uvalde (JLS18:148)
        Bexar (JLS18:148, S78:8)
        Travis (JLS36:10, S71:6, T6:25)
        Comal (JLS18:148, S82L23, S88:25)
        Kerr (CE41:181, JLS34:218, K51:148)
        Culberson (S60:7)
        Jeff Davis (S72:10)

S= Seasons' Summary of the Lepidopterists' Society
JLS= Journal of the Lepidopterists' Society
CE= Canadian Entomologist
K51= Klots Field Guide

The second opinion I got on this problem was discussion with Harry Clench
in 1971.
..........Chris Durden