Spiders and Snakes

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Fri Feb 25 17:55:47 EST 2000

Mark shared some of the hardships.  We really need to be reminded
periodically.  Some years ago (mid-1970s) Stuart Keith and I climbed the
Santa Marta mountains in eastern Colombia.  Climbed means, we left our
air conditioned (sea-level) hotel at 5am and drove our air-conditioned
car (at least it wasn't an automatic transmission) up to the top of the
road---birding and butterflying along the way---, reaching our
destination at about 9000' by 10:30 am.
	Only 50 years earlier an ornithological expedition had travelled that
route.  It took them two weeks to get to the 7000' level and one of them
nearly died en route.
	Perhaps they had more fun in other ways.

MIKE GOCHFELD