Thank You Paul Opler

HpAzures at aol.com HpAzures at aol.com
Wed Jan 12 18:27:23 EST 2000

Hank and Priscilla Brodkin write:

<<
As longtime advocates of bringing some order to things taxonomical - we would
like to thank Paul Oiler for a) forming the Committee on Scientific Names of
North American, b) for actually holding meetings on a somewhat regular basis,
and c) especially for publishing the results on the web.:

Well, Hank and Priscilla:

I enjoyed your congratulatory e-post regarding the Scientific Names
Committee, and wish you were right.  However, things will not get better, as
you may hope.  I too, am very, very frustrated by all the necessary
name-changes, revisions and "emendations", but it's likely to get even worse
before things finally settle down with the advent of DNA analysis.  We have
seen only the tip of the iceberg.

The Scientific Names Committee merely interprets what is out there in
existing research.  It's the various researchers and authors that make the
actual changes, revisions, etc., like the lumping of Fritillaries with the
Heliconians, based on some larval characters, which no doubt has many people
really confused and frustrated.  Never mind that the tropical Heliconians
look and behave nothing like the subarctic Bolorias.  But the point is, the
researchers themselves are the ones who are ultimately trying to figure out
the proper of things taxonomical.

Don't forget, several of the Committee members themselves made some dramatic
changes that has us annotating the most worn-out pages of our field guides.
Felix Sperling "lumped" a whole bunch of well-known Swallowtail species
(i.e., Papilio oregonius, Papilio bairdii) into Papilio machaon as a result
of his research.  Some future authors or researchers may reinterpret his data
and decide he was wrong and switch things back.  John Burns revised Atrytone
and Anatrytone based on microscopic genitalic characters, thus moving
household name Atrytone logan to Anatrytone.

The Committee was formed, in part, to interpret the vast number of taxonomic
revisions that have been proposed since the Lepidopterists' Society landmark
"Checklist of North American Butterflies".  Unfortunately, the leadership of
Lepidopterists' Society felt necessary to reject an important initiative such
as this, to maintain an updated record.  Thus, the necessity for an outside
review group.  The Committee has very limited say in matters of revision and
will not slow or influence the pace.  They can only pass their analysis and
opinion on to NABA.

Look for many more changes to come.

Harry Pavulaan