"Immunity" to mosquitos.

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Sun Jan 16 20:49:52 EST 2000

	I was surprised, and maybe a bit disappointed, at Mark Walker's
interpretations of responses to bites.  When we visited Alaska many
years ago, we were surprised at how much our host who showed us around
complained of the mosquitos.  He was constantly spraying and slapping
and getting large red welts.  We had just as many bites, but we could
barely feel them and seemed to get no reaction.  I hypothesized that he
had gotten sensitized and was therefore more reactive than us newcomers.
	Mark has suggested essentially the opposite situation.  Of
course both could be true in different people and places.

Mike Gochfeld