tagging experiment

Cris Guppy & Aud Fischer cguppy at quesnelbc.com
Sun Jan 16 20:59:09 EST 2000

Canada is about 30 years behind the USA in endangered species legislation,
and general conservation of biodiversity. Canada has however placed the
Monarch on the list of "Vulnerable" species, in part because of poor
conservation measures in Mexico and USA (as well as Canada).

It was my uncle, Richard Guppy (deceased 1980), who reported the tagged
Monarch in Victoria. He had no part in the release of the eastern Monarchs
at Gibsons, but in anycase that long ago no one had any concerns with
transferring butterflies. Knowledge has advanced somewhat since then.