pronunciations

Andrew Torry A.P.K.Torry at csm.ex.ac.uk
Mon Jan 17 05:15:05 EST 2000

Pierre Zagatti wrote:

> Matthew Smith wrote:
>
> > ...Woulds that be
> > Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyllllantysiliogogogochii or
> > Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyllllantysiliogogogochiensis?
> >
> > Matt
>
> Indeed there was a complex of sibling species, the former should become
> Neiljonesia
> pseudollanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyllllantysiliogogogochioides.
>
> Never begin your species name AFTER the 15th column of your text.
>
> Have a good  year !
>
> --
> Pierre ZAGATTI
> INRA Unite de Phytopharmacie et Mediateurs Chimiques
> 78026 Versailles Cedex
> FRANCE
> Tel: (33) 1 30 83 31 18
> e-mail zagatti at versailles.inra.fr
> http://www.jouy.inra.fr/papillon/

Now come on people lets get sensible about this. I understand that the
local people ie 'Resident subspecies' refer simply refer to the place as
'Lannfairpwll' or sometimes just 'HOME'. So surely we could get away
with 'llanfairpwlliensis'. I always understood that the second half of a
scientific name should start with a lower case letter as in
'llanfair...' rather than 'Llanfair'.

Andrew

PS At least it's better than shouting at each other about whether to
collect or not. And a lot more fun to read.