NABA, etc.

Anne Kilmer viceroy at gate.net
Mon Jan 17 07:28:12 EST 2000

All this, and also I'm immune to our local mosquitoes and (this is even
better) chiggers. Yes folks, I can walk through the tall grass and even
sit down. ;-)
I have also developed an immunity to the bites  (oh all right, stings)of
the Little Fire Ant, Wasmannia auropunctata, which makes strong men cry
and go home early.
The trouble with the immune system, however, is that you never know when
it's going to suddenly change its mind, and create a desperate
sensitivity to some substance that you've been getting along well with,
forever.
I'm hoping we can all meet at the NABA convention in Palm Beach County
in May ... it's not limited to members, and I hope the collectors will
outnumber us soft-hearted (or in my case lame and lazy) b/fly watchers.
It would be fun to meet all my imaginary friends. I'm hoping folks will
have time to give me a hand with the scrub restoration project I'm
working on. And there are a couple of hospital gardens ...
Anne Kilmer
South Florida
p.s. a trick with mosquitoes is to let them finish. Thus they withdraw
their nasty fluids and you are less likely to have a welt. You are
*more* likely to get whatever encephalitis, malaria or whatever they're
carrying around, I suppose ... Inshallah. (however you spell that.)
ak