tagging experiment

Cris Guppy & Aud Fischer cguppy at quesnelbc.com
Fri Jan 21 01:13:52 EST 2000

Milkweed is considered a "noxious weed" in many parts of Canada, on the
grounds that cattle do not like it (it may be toxic to them, I'm not sure).
There are provincial laws (rather than federal laws) requiring the
extermination of noxious weeds. I don't know the details, because they are
seldom enforced. However you are entirely correct, the laws are counter to
good Monarch management. Politicians seldom care about behaving in a logical
manner. I expect that eventually the designation of milkweed as a noxious
weed will be revoked, but it will be a while yet. Other noxious weeds of
interest to butterfliers are Bull Thistle and Canada Thistle (which is
actually an introduced European weed, Canada got stuck with a bum rap with
that name).