Food Plants for Agraulis vanillae

Laurel Godley godley at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 30 14:44:05 EST 2000

John,

I have used the hybrid variety Lavender Lasy to feed caterpillars.  It seems
to do reasonable well here in San Jose.  As a hybrid, I don't believe it
fruits.  Propigation is by cuttings.  The plant will grow rather large.  I
do not know if it would becone invasive.

There is a lovely book called "Passion Flowers" (2nd edition) by John
Vanderplank.  In chapter 6, he discusses longwings and includes a chart of
longwing species & prefered passaflora varieties.

An edible variety Black Knight, a type of p. edulis, appears unpalitable to
a. vanillae.  Mine is potted and gets moved into the greenhouse for the
winter.  I'm not certain how hardy it is.  Hope this helps a bit.

Best wishes...  Laurel