Egg snatcher?

Laurel Godley godley at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 30 23:56:01 EST 2000

I've several small centiped-like creature that have been snatching butterfly
eggs.  Since I'm not familiar with the eating habits of the centiped or
related family, I'm wondering what this creature might be.  Any thoughts?

They actually seems somewhat communal in nature.  They have been confined
along with a potted host plant and thus far I've removed 7 or 8.  They are
decidedly the egg snatchers in question, as one picked up an ova and whisked
it away, whilst I gave chase with tweezers.

The largest is perhaps 1/2 inch long and the smallest about half that size.
Color is a rather dull gray-brown.  Body, multi segmented; multi legged; and
antannae appear clubbe with a hint of pink to them.  They burrow as well.

Thanks in advance for your consideration & response.

Laurel Godley
3615 Greenlee Drive #15
San Jose, CA 95117
(408) 945-3042