Catocalas

DR. JAMES ADAMS JADAMS at em.daltonstate.edu
Mon Jul 17 14:59:54 EDT 2000

Dear John and listers,

> The Catocala season is underway, at least in my little part of the
> world. . . .
> There seem to be certain groups of moths that signal the onset of the
> seasons.  The arrival of the late winter/early spring Sallows are the
> moth pioneers and are visual assurances that winter is coming to an
> end.  When the Plagodis's are in great numbers and diversity, I know
> we're in the heart of spring.  The Catocalas signal that the summer
> nights have crested.  Tolypes - autumn is coming. <snip>
> I'd be interested in reading about the moths considered the seasonal
> representatives in other parts of the world...

Interesting that in Connecticut, the Catocalas as a whole represent
the "cresting of summer". Here in Georgia, the Catocalas start
flying in May, with clintoni, micronympha, amica, and epione not
far on their heals, with ilia being the first "big" one to fly.  But the
Catocalas are not done flying here until October (with an
occasional one even in November) with vidua, robinsoni and
maestosa finishing up the season.  Needless to say, it depends on
which Catocalas you are talking about that represent particular
seasons here in Georgia.

	As for species/genera that seem to represent *specific*
seasons, I've got a couple that are particularly noteworthy to me.  I
agree with John on his Plagodis, though of course, they have two
broods so he's clearly talking about the spring brood.

	Feralia major represent the new year . . . literally!  It usually
begins flying right around January 1.  So it is truly a winter moth
here, along with the Lithophanes.  November to April (winter) is
"Lithophane" season in my house!!  When they *finish* flying you
know spring has sprung.

	One of my favorite geometrids, and one of my favorite noctuids,
start flying just at the end of winter (late Feb.-early March), a sure
sign that, although warm days are occasional by this point, the
true warmth of spring is just around the corner.  The moths?
Ceratonyx satanaria and Merolonche dollii.  Other genera that are
out at this time of year and come to mind are the geometrid genus
Phigalea and the noctuid genus Eutolype.

	Although it has many broods here in GA, the first Luna Moths
are the harbingers of Spring (this and the little sphingid, Deidamia
inscripta).  Mid to late March is the normal time to see the first
individuals, with a huge flight in full swing by April.  Other moths
which represent this time of year are the beautiful noctuid Eutelia
pulcherrima and the cossid Prionoxystus macmurtrei.

	May's special moth is the geometrid Lytrosis permagnaria.
The second and third week in May are the best times to try and
find this exciting, big gray and black geo!

	Summer is so loaded with different species that I don't typically
associate June and July with any species/genera in particular,
though these are the months for Citheronia regalis and Eacles
imperialis.  If I had to choose a particular group of moths that I love
from the summer months, it would be the limacodids.  Of the
U.S.'s 50 some species, greater than 20  (40%) can be found here,
as many as 15 species in one night.  Fantastic!!  July is also the
best month of flight for one of the U.S.'s oddest moths, the fulgorid
feeding epipyropid Fulgoraecia exigua.

	In the midwest (Missouri/Kansas), where I grew up, August and
September represented Schinia season, with Labor Day weekend
representing the height of diversity.  Here where I currently live in
GA, however, Schinia diversity is so poor that I've changed my
thinking.  Late August-September here is the beginning of
Papaipema season, which may continue into early November.  A
number of very interesting species can be found here, many quite
colorful.  (If I was in Texas, however, September is stiriine season!!).

	Tolype velleda (which John mentions) is an October - November
bug here, but Tolype notialis has several broods all year long, so I
don't normally associate the entire genus with one time of year.
Certain noctuine noctuids (some Xestias, Agnorisma, etc.) also
come to mind when I think of this time of year.

	There really are no months of the year here, even though I'm in
*north* Georgia, that you can't find something lepidopterological.
December is probably the slowest month, with little new in the way
of new emergences.

	Hope this is of interest!

		James

Dr. James K. Adams
Dept. of Natural Science and Math
Dalton State College
213 N. College Drive
Dalton, GA  30720
Phone: (706)272-4427; fax: (706)272-2533
U of Michigan's President James Angell's
  Secret of Success: "Grow antennae, not horns"