Canada & weather

Chris Conlan conlan at adnc.com
Tue Jul 18 20:14:52 EDT 2000

I witnessed a population explosion of these guys while getting my entomology
degree back in the mid 80's.  I was taking a collection/id course just above
Lake Tahoe during June-July and the N. californica larvae denuded the
ceanothus bushes.  You could watch the hills turn brown over a two week
period and it sounded like it was always raining from all the frass coming
down.  Then the adults came out and were so thick you kicked up huge clouds
of them when walking the trails.  The main highway had a bank of dead ones 6
inches high or more all along the roadside from the cars hitting them.  It
was quite a sight!

Chris