Arizona mothing at Pena Blanca Canyon

BMW60 bmw60 at aol.com
Tue Jul 18 21:08:40 EDT 2000

For those who read yesterdays message, yes, we conquered the full moon.
I've seen some impressive nights in Arizona but nothing like this.  The moon
was obstructed by clouds for the first couple of hours but then we got the full
force of it.  We managed 18 different Sphinx and 9 Saturnids.  The number of
some went from the sublime to the ridiculous.  Listed below are the results.
Automeris cecrops pamina At least 500, mostly females
Eacles oslari-200, mostly female
Citheronia splendons-25
Antherea oculea-1
Automeris iris-5
Sphingicampa montana-15
Sphingicampa hubbardi-10
E. calleta-3
Rothschildia cincta-3

The sphinx didnt come in, in great numbers but variet was great.

M. quinquemaculata
M. sexta
M. occulta
M. florestan
M. rustica
P. occidentalis
Myops
Achemon
Salicettii
Ello
Dollii
M. muscosa
H. lyneata
X. falco
Sonorensis
Libocedrus
Crameri
S. smithi

These numbers were a record for our limited years in the field. (4 Seasons)
The number could have been greater if some normally common bugs had shown up.
Singulata, typhon, obscura etc.  Anyway, we hope you enjoy the information
All the best,  Bill at BMW60