*P. clodius/smintheus*

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jul 18 12:23:54 EDT 2000

Remembering encounters years ago on the back-side of Mt. Timpanogos, I
agree there is a very different feel to *clodius* when compared to
*smintheus*. I think it goes along with the different subgenus.
  There was an article recently in the New York Times about the physics of
the crinking of candy wrappers at concerts. I think that field would
provide clues to the differences in wing properties of *Parnassius*. *P.
clodius* seems more flexible and resilient, as does *P. mnemosyne*. *P.
smintheus* seems more brittle and crackly, as does *P. apollo*. The
sphragis has different qualities in these two groups of species and may be
related chemically to the properties of the wings.
........Chris Durden