Collecting In the Huachucas

Hank & Priscilla Brodkin hankb at theriver.com
Tue Jul 25 17:28:46 EDT 2000

A couple of interesting developments sown our way re: collecting in the
Huachuca Mountains.

The first incident can be blamed on shear stupidity - the kind of thing
which will not make things easier for folks who like to study
butterflies by collecting them.  A person who identified himself as a
grad student was caught by NPS personnel leading a group with butterfly
nets and taking butterflies on National Park land in Coronado National
Memorial.  In addition they had a loaded gun.
As one who has always tried to lessen the friction of those who pursue
the study of butterflies by collecting and by other means - I would
really like to thank the stupid SOB responsible and might suggest that
his Degree be rescinded.  He obviously is not a credit to his university
or to science in general.  The reason I say this was really a stupid
thing to do is that there are thousands of acres of adjoining National
Forest land were recreational collecting is allowed without any permit.

Also Ft. Huachuca has begun to enforce their permit policy, which by the
way they have always had.  A friend was stopped by the Fort Game Warden
and asked to show a collecting permit - which he did not have. Being
informed of this we tried to get exact information.
I just spoke to Jim Hessel at the Fort Wildlife Office to ask about
this.  Jim said that they were indeed cracking down (my words).  All
collectors of anything MUST have a permit. According to Jim - since
there is no guard at the gates and no other way of finding out - they
would like to get a handle on any collecting activities going on.  The
permit is free - though POSSIBLY in the future they may charge for these
- and they may also charge even for non-collecting field trips and other
group use.

The collecting permit is to be requested in writing from the Fort
Huachuca Wildlife Office, and contain names of people collecting,
purpose, affiliation with any institution etc.  Permits will not be
granted to folks collecting specimens to sell - but you can collect for
your personal collection.  To find out exactly what should be in your
request call the Wildlife Office at (520) 533-7084.

A plea to those of you collectors who tend to blame NABA for trying to
ban collecting - which we definitely are not - please act responsibly,
for your own good and the good of your fellow butterfly avocationists.

BTW - right now the Huachucas are full of butterflies!
--
	             Hank & Priscilla Brodkin
	          Carr Canyon, Cochise County, AZ