Collecting In the Huachucas

James J. Kruse kruse at nature.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Jul 25 18:37:48 EDT 2000

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Hank & Priscilla Brodkin wrote:

> The first incident can be blamed on shear stupidity - the kind of thing
> which will not make things easier for folks who like to study
> butterflies by collecting them.  A person who identified himself as a
> grad student was caught by NPS personnel leading a group with butterfly
> nets and taking butterflies on National Park land in Coronado National
> Memorial.

This definately demonstrates poor judgement. I am amazed again and again
by people who collect in restricted areas when there are 1000's of acres
around where you may collect to your hearts content, and which harbor the
same species. I had the opportunity to examine a seized collection while I
was at the University of Wisconsin, and all species collected in a certain
national wildlife refuge were common and easily collected elsewhere. None
were endangered, threatened, or even of special concern. Grass is always
greener? or what????

Grad student in entomology?? I wonder.

> In addition they had a loaded gun.

This, of course, is not allowed in a national park but is legal nearly
everywhere else in Arizona. Sounds like this individual disengages their
brain in the field.

Regards,
Jim Kruse
University of California at Berkeley
Dept. of Environ Sci, Policy and Mgmt.
Div. of Insect Biology
201 Wellman Hall
Berkeley, California, 94720-3112
Voice: (510) 642-7410    Fax: (510) 642-7428
http://www.cnr.berkeley.edu/sperlinglab/kruse.html