Please Help the World's Rarest Butterfly

wanda be496 at lafn.org
Tue Jul 25 22:51:37 EDT 2000

Robert Dana wrote: snip

 Paul Cherubini wrote:

> Absolutely. That's why the butterfly activists target pricey real estate projects in wealthy areas like the ritzy Palos Verdes Pennisula of California, the movie star owned Malibu  coast of California, the ultra wealthy Silicone Valley of California etc. They know developers in these areas can afford to be hit with
> six figure "habitat restoration" or mitigation measures from which they derive five figure consulting jobs and other spin off income.
>
> Activists would not care much about the Palos Verdes Blue if it's habitat was in some slum district of Los Angeles. Therre's no money there for them to harvest.

Actually, the P.V. Blue was rediscovered at a fuel depot by local
entomologist Rudi Mattoni during a general survey of property wildlife
quite by accident a few years ago.  I think it was Standard Oil that
then stopped their replacement of lines in that specific area and got
some good mileage for their cooperation.   The adjacent property in
question had some old military housing with the prime foodplant and the
BF was found here a bit later in further searches when the Symphony in
Green group and others were helping to return the habitat to native
plants by eliminating the expanding iceplant, etc.   That finding had
been reported to various authorities.

For further specifics you may want to contact:

Travis Longcore, Ph.D. (longcore at urbanwildlands.org)
The Urban Wildlands Group
Phone/Fax: 310-247-9719
http://www.urbanwildlands.org/

Cheers,

Wanda Dameron
Flutterby Press - Western U.S. & C.Amer. BF materials