Please Help the World's Rarest Butterfly

neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 26 02:59:18 EDT 2000

In article <397D95E5.2831 at mindspring.com>,
  cherubini at mindspring.com wrote:
> John MacGregor wrote:
> >
> > Paul,
> >
> > Just curious.  What are you implying?  That the people trying to
save the
> > butterfly stand to make money from conserving it?
>
> Absolutely. That's why the butterfly activists target pricey real
estate projects
> in wealthy areas like the ritzy Palos Verdes Pennisula of California,
the
> movie star owned Malibu  coast of California, the ultra wealthy
Silicone Valley
> of California etc. They know developers in these areas can afford to
be hit with
> six figure "habitat restoration" or mitigation measures from which
they
> derive five figure consulting jobs and other spin off income.
>
> Activists would not care much about the Palos Verdes Blue if it's
habitat
> was in some slum district of Los Angeles. Therre's no money there for
> them to harvest.
>
> Paul Cherubini

Oh well, as I said Mr Cherubini's understanding of conservationists'
motives is not noted for its rational nature. Surely we all know these
guys get paid by Elvis Presley who is still alive and living in hiding.
:-) (This is a JOKE OK. People have been known to take comments like
this seriously.)

Actually the site concerned doesn't actually look "ritzy" at all.
As I tell everyone back home when I show the slides of the butterfly
and its habitat, you can see the Oil Refinery right across the road.
While its visibility may differ from different locations, dirty
industry, as it is often rightly or wrongly perceived, does not
increase the value of property in the vicinity.
I am deeply concerned about this butterfly and always have been since
I read about its plight in the IUCN book on the endangered Lycaenidae.
I am from the UK and I would't haven't known anthing about the wealth
of the area.

The website is at
http://www.wildlifwebsite.com/pvblue/

Neil Jones