Arizona Mothing on 26 July

BMW60 bmw60 at aol.com
Thu Jul 27 19:38:49 EDT 2000

Well, there was nobody to go with me on this day so I thought I would keep it
simple and do the Pena Blanca thing.  Got down there and set up two hours
before dark in the hope of getting the ever elusive terlooii.  No luck once
again so I settled in to the night action.  It was obvious a small amount of
rain had passed
 through a couple hours earlier. (a very good thing in Arizona)  We allways
keep an hourly count of Saturnids and Sphinx along with somewhat detailed
weather conditions.  We will one day solve the mystery of why they fly when
they do.
My total count was 16 different Sphinx, of which 11 came in the first hour, and
7 Saturnids.  Listed below is the breakdown.
Saturnids;
E. oslari-40
A. oslari-10
S. montana-1
A. cecrops pamina-50
S. hubbardi-30
C. splendons-3
E. calleta-1
The A. oslari is usually a fairly tough catch but a junk bug on this night.
The calleta was loaded with eggs so that should be fun next year.

Sphinx;
M. sexta (imagine that)
M. quinquemaculata
M. rustica
M. florestan
M. muscosa
C. sonorensis
H. lineata (ouch)
S. dollii
P. occidentalis
E. typhon
E. achmon
X. falco
S. chersis or asella-(Who can REALLY tell the difference)
S. smithi
S. libocedrus
AND, the catch of the day, maybe the decade, Dolbogene hartwegii.
Didnt know what the heck I had even looking at the book.  Jim Tuttle pretty
much confirmed it until a serious study can be done.  So, all in all, the kind
of night we live for.  To all you northeasterners,  keep on trying.  Bill at
BMW60