label problems

Doug Yanega dyanega at pop.ucr.edu
Thu Jul 27 22:23:04 EDT 2000

Paul Cherubini wrote:

>If you print with a laser printer, there is no need for indelible inks
>because it is my understanding these printers burn the image into the
>paper like a photocopier does.

No, laser writers typically melt letters onto the surface of the paper -
which is why the letters commonly float clean off in alcohol. This would
obviously be impossible if the letters were burned in. Certain paper
surfaces are much better at holding on (I have labels in alcohol that are
10 years old and doing fine), but generally speaking they don't seem to
hold up well.

           http://insects.ucr.edu/staff/yanega.html