Pronuba in Western Canada

Dave Clermont daveclermont at videotron.ca
Mon Jul 31 09:04:28 EDT 2000

N. pronuba....
it has been a couple of years since it has appeared around here and it is
now one of the most common moth in my area
Here are some (translated from french) quotes from Louis Handfield's "guide
des papillons du Québec" (Broquet, 1999)

-->"collected for the first time in Quebec by Daniel Neron June 22nd 1987 at
Mont royal, in Montreal. In canada, the specie has been collected for the
first time in Halifax, Nova Scotia , in 1979: In Newfoundland, it was in
St-John, in 1984 : In Maine, it was in 1985: In New Brunswick, it was in
1986 : The specie is now present in the state of Vermont since 1989 and has
been reported in Ontario since 1992. In North East of USA, The specie is
present in states of New Hampshire since 1990, in New York since 1992, In
Massachusetts since 1989 , in Connecticut since 1993 and in Maryland since
1992. It has now spreaded up to Winsconsin and Washington (DC) . We have
calculated that, since 1979 to 1986, it has been spreading at a ratio of 55
km /year, what is considered verry fast. Since the specie is now in
Wisconsin and Washington (DC) , we can calculate the spreading ratio up to
128.5 km/ year. The adults have a verry long lifespan (from 40 to 120 days)
and females can lay from 1000 to 2000 eggs , two major factors that
contribute to it's verry rapid progression. "<--

Dave